The Greek Minister of Environment and Industry, with decision no. 177 360 / 18.12.2014 has approved the environmental terms for the installation of a gigantic industrial project with wind parks on the islands of Andros-Naxos-Paros-Tinos. The total capacity is designed to be of 281,5 MW (initially operating with 95 turbines and height 100m each), interconnected to each other by underwater high voltage cable of 150 KV and a total length of 158.86 km. The local communities , the institutions, unions and societies, and the municipalities of our island along with South Aegean administrative district, are fighting against the implementation of this industrial project because:
- Subverts the sustainability of our islands.
- Annuls mild Cycladic features.
- Irreparably undermines our internationally recognized unique island environment.
- Cements huge tracts of land by destroying the natural environment and biodiversity, irreversibly and without future rehabilitation capability, while significantly reducing the infiltration of rainwater thus preventing the supply of groundwater.
- Violates our culture and civilization, by imposing us new industrial living conditions.
- Affects the local economy and cancels island’s development conditions.
- Shapes immigrant family conditions due to the redefinition of new living and employment conditions and inability to sustain of our businesses.
- Devalues the worth of our land and property.
- Brings deathblow to our tourism and economy
- Counters to the principle of sustainable development (society-environment-development) for the benefit of investors and business and profit only.
Our fight will determine our destiny! We urge all residents, visitors and friends of Paros to endorse the protest resolution and to stand by our side in our struggle for the future of our island and our children.